Re: long HDMI 1.4 cable problems

  • Subject: Re: long HDMI 1.4 cable problems
  • From: "JonS" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 23:01:29 -0000

> Have you got any joins / couplers / faceplates in the cable run
or is it purely device to device?

It was just a test run direct between a friends player and TV, no
connections.  It was slightly better if the cable to stretched out rather
than coiled, but not near any other cables in either case.  When installed
it will cross mains cables etc, so this was a tame test prior to
installation.  I think its down to poor quality control the 1st cable was
fine coiled - came up in 3D every time it was plugged in.  The QED cables
say on their blurb that they are tested - mind you they also mention they
have more copper in them - IIRC from uni high frequency signals travel on
the surface of the conductor.  None of the pictures show cables with big
blobs on the end (supressors of some sort?) but older 1.3 cable I put under
another floor has these - this is labtec from screwfix.

I've been informed that carpet fitter cannot come before Christmas so I
think I've got a chance to try another modestly priced cable before
coughing the ton for the 10m QED.

> Can you use the "good" one for the more onerous duty and the
other one for lower standard connections? (or isn't it configured like
that?).

I probably could, but I'd rather get two 3D capable cables in if I can.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

JonS

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums