Re: Re: Brightlightz led GU10s

It was a bit of surprise when I finally twigged that these highly
efficient lamps that run so apparently cold are susceptible to heat from
the driver electronics. As a consequence, I've been very selective about
choosing what appear to be good quality ones, but it's too early to tell
what the long-term prospects are for them.

Quality heat sinks seem to be critical, but the lamp fitting's ability to
dissipate heat must play a part, too.

I've settled on Aurora lamps for now and have 16 of them so far. One failed
in 24hrs, which was obviously an anomaly.

Steve Morgan

On 5 Dec 2011, at 18:22, "ajward137" <ajward@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I've had bad experiences with failures of CFL and LED-based GU10
spots. It seems to me the highly stressed electronics built to the lowest
possible price that makes them cost-effective in theory but unreliable in
practice.

> I've made the decision to use low-voltage MR16's wherever possible,
just to try and reduce the failure rate.

> I know it doesn't answer the replacement question, I'm just wondering
if I've done the right thing. I'm interested in any answers too, because I
still have 30+ GU10s on tracks in one room.

> Andy W.
>
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Tony Hill <tonyhill@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> yes i have had failure problems.  I have bought around 20 and
about four have failed. I returned two and they were replaced.