Re: Going completely wireless?

  • Subject: Re: Going completely wireless?
  • From: Simon Haslam <simon_haslam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 20:12:09 +0100 (BST)

Well, I live in an old stone walled house so am a big fan of wires!
Plus it=
just work as it's so mature and there's not so much to go wrong.

The phone cables are interesting - they should/may be 2 twisted pairs, but
=
obviously not to cat 5 standards. Over short runs you can connect them up
a=
s 100Mb links - I've done this over ~5m without noticing any problem,
thoug=
h admittedly not with high traffic. You'd also want to look at the twists
a=
nd get the pairs connected as per ethernet too.

Possibly more interesting is whether you can use the telephone cables as
dr=
aw wires for ethernet cable. This might be viable especially if they're
run=
ning in conduits. I suggest you don't go for a very high spec cable though
=
(e.g. I've got some Krone CAT6A which is really fat) and make sure you
have=
plenty of washing up liquid to hand and a willing helper (push-pull). If y=
ou could get a CAT5E cable in place of every phone line you could always
us=
e a cable economiser to run a phone line in parallel to an ethernet outlet
=
(providing 100Mb if OK). Of course this may not give you as many cables as
=
you want, unless the routing is straightforward and you can widen the
holes=
at each end before pulling.

It's a real shame most builders still haven't worked out it would be
better=
for future homeowners to use CAT5E for all data cabling, even if they put =
phone sockets on the end of it.

Simon