RE: Useful Gadget of the Week: USB to 4 RS-232 Serial Ports

Never underestimate the ability of the human condition to find new and
previously unexplored ways of f*ck*ng things up. :-D

Phil

Serial
> Ports
>
> Lol - nothing is going to be that idiot proof then!!
>
> Paul.

this
> tied to the back of the PC.
>
> 	Although that didn't stop "someone" unplugging the serial
plugs
> from the serial hub. (screwed in d-type connectors).
>
> 	It also doesn't stop the store's electrician unplugging the
> serial plug from the opticla equipment, ("It wasn't plugged in
there
> before, mate, so i need to test it") and jamming his PAT tester
wire
> into the serial port and blowing the serial port drivers to
> smithereens.
> ("Must have been faulty mate")
>
> 	hohum..
>  Every little helps.
>
> 	-Jim
>  On Thu 04/08/11 10:57 AM , Paul Gale groups2@xxxxxxx sent:
> 	How have people found using USB devices in a production/mission
> critical environment? Particularly with regard to USB plugs being able
> to pull out easily, especially if there's a fair bit of hardware
> dangling off of it. Anyone had problems or is the use of cable ties
etc
> enough to prevent problems?
>  Paul.
have to say
> that  > the Prolific units I've had in the past have been OK for
non-
> critical  > use (programming C-Bus, HomeVision etc.) but - as I
think
> was the  > suggestion from the follow-up post - sometimes they
*CAN*
> disconnect  > and reconnect as a different COM port. If you're
using
> USB to serial  > adapters in a commercial (or, more importantly,
> medical or other  > mission critical environment) then I wouldn't
risk
> the consumer level  > USB to serial interfaces.
>  >
>  > For my own "critical" stuff (i.e. HomeGate interface
to RS232
> equipped  > kit) I have a couple of the KeySpan USB to four serial
port
> adapters.
>  > They're expensive and I don't know whether they are still made
but

>  > they've been absolutely bulletproof and have worked in scenarios
 >
> (programming up logic boards and running test kit at work) where other
> > USB to serial adapters have failed. They also come up repeatedly
as
> > the same serial port no matter which USB port on the machine they
> find  > themselves attached to.
>  >
>  > Cheers
>  >
>  > Phil
>  >
Behalf Of Stuart Poulton
> > Sent: 04 August 2011 09:37  > To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [6]  >
> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Useful Gadget of the Week: USB to 4 RS-232  >
> Serial Ports  >  > Out of interest, would USB to serial
convertors
> where the serial  > connection is an RJ45 socket be of interest to
> anyone ?
>  >
>  > Stuart
>  >
>  > ------------------------------------
>  >
>  > Yahoo! Groups Links
>  >
>  >

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> [2] mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> [3] mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> [4] mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> [5] mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> [6] mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> [7]
> mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx?subject=RE:%20%5Bukha_d%5D%20Useful%20Gad
> get%20of%20the%20Week:%20USB%20to%204%20RS-232%20Serial%20Ports
> [8]
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ukha_d/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJyMHBtNWhiBF9TAzk3

MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMDk2MzkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDQxOTkyBG1zZ0lkAzE2MjQ1OQR
> zZWMDZnRyBHNsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEzMTI0NTE4NjI-
> ?act=reply&messageNum=162459
> [9]
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ukha_d/message/162439;_ylc=X3oDMTM4YXNmNn

U1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzExMDk2MzkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDQxOTkyBG1zZ0lkA

zE2MjQ1OQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzMTI0NTE4NjIEdHBjSWQDMTYyNDM5