RE: Useful Gadget of the Week: USB to 4 RS-232 Serial Ports

  • Subject: RE: Useful Gadget of the Week: USB to 4 RS-232 Serial Ports
  • From: jimf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 11:05:42 +0100

From the USB port have an extra "loop" of cable and have this
tied
to the back of the PC.

Although that didn't stop "someone" unplugging the serial plugs
from
the serial hub. (screwed in d-type connectors).

It also doesn't stop the store's electrician unplugging the serial
plug from the opticla equipment, ("It wasn't plugged in there before,
mate, so i need to test it") and jamming his PAT tester wire into the
serial port and blowing the serial port drivers to smithereens.
("Must have been faulty mate")

hohum..
Every little helps.

-Jim
On Thu 04/08/11 10:57 AM , Paul Gale groups2@xxxxxxx sent:
How have people found using USB devices in a production/mission
critical environment? Particularly with regard to USB plugs being
able to pull out easily, especially if there's a fair bit of hardware
dangling off of it. Anyone had problems or is the use of cable ties
etc enough to prevent problems?
Paul.