Re: A different approach to saving power with solar panels.

  • Subject: Re: A different approach to saving power with solar panels.
  • From: Simon Haslam <simon_haslam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 10:21:28 +0000 (GMT)

I had a similar kind of debate a while back on the navitron.org.uk
forum. A=
pparently "common" UPS's (from APC etc) operate in a
"direct" mode whereby =
under normal conditions the AC is used to power the equipment directly
(alb=
eit with some mains conditioning), and not via the 12V batteries. You can
g=
et "indirect" UPS's where mains is converted to 12V (or whatever)
and then =
converted back to 220/240V. Also there were debates about whether a normal
=
UPS would be capable of running for long periods on batteries without
early=
component failure (as compared to solar inverters which are designed for t=
he task). Finally working inside the UPS with high voltages would mean
you'=
d need to be very careful about safety.

Your second approach sounds easier and more efficient (as it saves the
conv=
ersion from 12V to 220/240V to 5V or whatever). It would just be a solar
in=
stallation charging a battery bank which has been tried and tested for
year=
s. You'd need to work out what devices you could most easily make power
sup=
plies for (ideally choose several of the same DC input voltage). I haven't
=
looked this up, but can imagine some green people will have done this kind
=
of thing before.

Simon