RE: A different approach to saving power with solar panels.

Hi Simon,

In option 1, I'm talking about switching the 240V AC power prior to it
going
in to the UPS.
The UPS would see the mains lost during the change over period (seconds)
and
then restored again.
So it would not need to be a full online UPS.

As an example of a sunny day.
Midnight to say 9AM in the morning. The UPS (and thus Node0) is being
powered by the coal power, Power Stations.
At 9AM the sun is bright enough for the panels to make enough 12V power to
feed a 240VAC inverter.
A change over relay (driven by some smart electronics) changes the power
feed from the power stations to the solar panel. (10 second change over)
At 3PM we start to run out of sunlight, the inverter output is dropping to
200VAC.
A change over relay (driven by some smart electronics) changes the power
feed from the inverter back to the power stations.

So during a 24Hr period, the UPS batteries only see a total runtime of 20
seconds.

The Node0 is driven by the sun for 6hrs of the day.

The draw back with option 2, is that the PC's could not be run from the
~12V
supply.
I have standard styles of PC's with big switch mode power supplies, with
heaps of different voltage taps.
The PC's are the biggest power users.

As you mention, the advantage with option 2 is that there are less losses
incurred converting from the native 12/24VDC panel output to 240VAC back
down to 12/5VDC/whatever.

Regards,

Neil Wrightson.
N.W.Electronics
ABN 76 768 513 867
Embedded Controllers and Home Automation Products
Skype : Neil_Wrightson
Web     : www.nwe.net.au

_____