From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Paul Gordon
Sent: 16 June 2010 13:08
To: UKHA Group
Subject: [ukha_d] Quick & dirty PC-based PA system?

Chaps, I guess this is probably one of those "it depends" or
"how long
is a
piece of string" type question, but here goes.

I reckon that with the appropriate utility, it should be possible to
hook up
a very quick & dirty public address system based on a PC soundcard.. it
has
after all a line-level output which I can hook up to an amplifier & get
good room-filling level of sound from. it also has a mic input which
functions perfectly well for recording voice in various apps, and for
telephony type apps etc.

Therefore it occurred to me that surely if I could just get the software
mixer to allow me to loopthrough the mic input directly to the line-out,
should be able to use it in a PA type scenario. unfortunately, the
built-in
Windows 7 mixer doesn't appear to make this possible. neither do any of
the
tools provided with the machine (HP laptop).

So is anyone aware of a software tool that will allow me to setup this
configuration? - then I could use any old PC microphone, - of which I
have
various lying around of differing qualities - connect it to the PC, send
it
out the line-out & thus to a connected external amp.

TIA

Paul G.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums