Quick & dirty PC-based PA system?

  • Subject: Quick & dirty PC-based PA system?
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:07:38 +0100

Chaps, I guess this is probably one of those "it depends" or
"how long is a
piece of string" type question, but here goes.

I reckon that with the appropriate utility, it should be possible to hook
up
a very quick & dirty public address system based on a PC soundcard.. it
has
after all a line-level output which I can hook up to an amplifier & get
good room-filling level of sound from. it also has a mic input which
functions perfectly well for recording voice in various apps, and for
telephony type apps etc.

Therefore it occurred to me that surely if I could just get the software
mixer to allow me to loopthrough the mic input directly to the line-out, I
should be able to use it in a PA type scenario. unfortunately, the built-in
Windows 7 mixer doesn't appear to make this possible. neither do any of the
tools provided with the machine (HP laptop).

So is anyone aware of a software tool that will allow me to setup this
configuration? - then I could use any old PC microphone, - of which I have
various lying around of differing qualities - connect it to the PC, send it
out the line-out & thus to a connected external amp.

TIA

Paul G.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums