Re: Light switch status

Martyn Wendon wrote:

> Anybody using Z-Wave?
>
> Seems like it may be a reasonable fit for my needs?
>
> Martyn

Z-Wave works well, and would be perfect for your needs, except for a
couple of rather major drawbacks.

1) There are hardly any European-spec devices available.
2) The protocol is kept secret by the Z-Wave Alliance (which includes
software companies that want to protect their sales, rather than just
hardware manufacturers who presumably would be very happy for everyone
to be writing software for their gear).

I'm hoping to change both these situations with a project called
OpenZWave.  It's a free, open-souce, cross-platform library to allow
anyone to add support for Z-Wave to their programs without requiring
them to learn about the Z-Wave protocol or buy expensive development
kits.  The project is a month or so from launch, and I will be making
further announcments at that time.

Mal

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums