Network Advice - cable management

  • Subject: Network Advice - cable management
  • From: "semi.jons" <semi.jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:44:09 -0000

This weekend I've begun punching down some of the cables that I
installed in 2007!! The last 2 years have been very busy for various
reasons and I've hardly done any work on the house. Fortunately the
labelling scheme worked and I still had my records :-)  However about 10
cables in I've wondered if I am doing it the most efficient way so could do
with some advice.

When installing I left ensured there was spare cable in N0 but got more
generous as time went on.  With most of the cables I can punch them down
comforably at work-top height, the idea being comfortable working height
and then I can mount the patch-panel at what ever height I want, coiling
the cable up and hiding on a high shelf or in the floor void above.
However about 6 cables are too short for this.  So my options are:
-punch them down last and coil the extra cable although I'll never be able
to move the panel much
- cut all the cables to the same shorter length, less cable to manage/store
- extend the shorter cables with a Krone block, easy to punch down rather
than up a step ladder, flexible panel location
- buy another small patch panel for the shorter cable, I could probably do
with the extra ports as I have a few more cables to run through conduits to
a couple of locations

So what have other people done to cables coming into the back of their
patch panel?
Is exra useful, is it worth pulling back into a void?    So chop and worry
about that later?

I've also got a similar situation with TV cables,  I was thinking of living
with the various lengths, terminating them individually and plugging into
an amp/loftbox when needed.  A different approach as they plug directly
into the end point rather than a flexibility point.

Advice on cable management / storage much appreciated.

Thanks
JonS

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums