RE: New Boiler (with automation inclusion)

If you want to add solar water heating then make sure you specify a
dual
coil hot water cylinder as this will save you hassle and money if/when you
add solar panels.

Otherwise pick a decent brand of boiler to serve the heating & hot
water. If
you want a more sophisticated boiler then make sure it supports some decent
interfacing - Broag Rehma Quinta allows full control of the burner
modulation via a 0-10v signal for example as well as standard switched
control. Avoid boilers with sophisticated built-in controls as these rarely
(if ever) allow any external interfacing.

As long as you include suitable pipework design and main plant zone valves
(the Honeywell S-Plan is the most convenient and uses 2-port zone valves on
each service to isolate them hydraulically) then it is actually quite
straight forward to get decent control of the boiler, pump, heating &
hot
water circuits. Try and avoid the Y-plan approach which uses a single
3-port
valve to connect to the heating & hot water as this is much more
difficult
to get your head around and control, it just is not very intuitive to wire
or test that it works as you expect.

All of your sophistication really comes in controlling where the heat is
used around the house - improved zoning/room-by-room zone control, proper
demand-driven control of the boiler based on heat demand from heating &
hot
water zones etc. Here you either buy into an existing system that has all
of
the smarts built in but allows interfacing to other systems for to allow
for
integration (such as Honeywell Hometronic or other similar) where you get
set you requirements but leave the clever processing/control algorithms to
the branded controls or roll your own control strategies via generic
programmable I/O units (PLCs etc).

Neil B.