Re: [OT] PIC(?) Microprocessor/DHCP tester

  • Subject: Re: [OT] PIC(?) Microprocessor/DHCP tester
  • From: "starbug1234" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 22:48:17 -0000

Rob,

Dont see this as thread hi-jak at all!  The byebyestandby would be a great
=
idea, however I'd need to know the domain name, and hence vlan the device
w=
as on to be able to ping it, so kinda defeats the purpose ;-)

I'd ahppily work with anyone on this.  All the research I'm doing goes way
=
over my head and I have no idea where to start.  I think the concept
should=
be pretty simple - get something (ip address) the display it.  Sounds simp=
le enough, but I cant even work out what hardware to buy.  I do have an
SBC=
44EC that I bought from a bulkbuy here years ago and have never worked out
=
how to use it, which I'm hoping would be a good starting point, but cant
fi=
nd an lcd for it...

If only practice was as easy as theory...

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Rob Iles <rob.iles@...> wrote:

> This is a little off-beat, and may sound like an advert - but I
promise, =
it
> isn't!
>=20
> Old (V1) ByeByeStandby/DomiaLite Online Controllers are available for
~=
=A330
> now.
>=20
> By default, they grab an IP Address from DHCP.
>=20
> They also register a netbios name, related to the serial - - i.e if
seria=
> is aaa.bbb.ccc.dd.eee.fff, then "DLCMASTERFF" would be the
name registere=
d.
>=20
> If you've some way of pinging this as you plug it in to various
sockets,
> that'd do the job, I think. (WinCE smartphone on wifi perhaps?)
>=20
>=20
> Failing that, I've *finally* got round to buying an arduino dev kit
> (actually freeduino - same, but even cheaper). Unfortunately it has
been
> delivered to the office, which is current snow bound - but I hope to
get =
my
> hands on it on Monday.
>=20
> Sorry if this sounds like a thread-jack - - but I'd love to make use
of
> Ethernet and LCD modules with the freeduino/arduino - - maybe
"we" could
> work together on this? I'm certainly happy to share anything I manage
> hack together.
>=20
> The one thing I'm NOT keen on, is the "Shield" approach - an
Ethernet Shi=
eld
> is a plugin board for arduino that adds RJ45 support, but costs twise
as
> much as the Mainboard!! me=3D=3Dtight I guess.
>=20
> I've also got access to some PIC's on a PCB with Realtek Ethernet IO
IC -=
-
> the mainboard of the Online controller.  Maybe just adding an LCD
module =
> that (and modding the code) would be sufficient.
>=20
> In case it's not obvious, I've bought one because I want to have a go,
bu=
> I've no real need / project for it - - so I'm taking this post as
possibl=
> inspiration for project number one! :-) If anyone has other cool ideas
fo=
> what to do with an arduino (Phil, keep it clean), I'm all ears.
>=20
> Cheers,
>=20
> Rob
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> 2010/1/8 Andy Davies <dajdavies@...>
>=20
> >

> > 2010/1/8 starbug1234 <groups@...
<groups%40stuartwhyte.net>>

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a need to build some sort of device that I can plug
into a net=
work
> > > that will obtain its IP settings from DHCP and display this
on a lcd =
type
> > > display. As further development, being able to access the
device via =
> > web
> > > page do futher tests would be nice.
> > >
> > > The reason behind this is that the network I look after has
loads of
> > VLANS
> > > for seperate departments, with a DCHP server in each VLAN.
With 1000'=
s of
> > > drops and little (read =3D none) documentation, lugging a
laptop arou=
nd to
> > > test is the only way to ID a network point.
> > >
> > > I have no expeience with PIC programming, but the research I
have don=
> > > seems to show that there is a lot of
"out-of-the-box" code available =
> > do
> > > networky tyoe stuff, and display type stuff - I'd just need
to work o=
ut a
> > > way to tie them together.
> > >
> > > I know there are a few microprosser programmers on here so
would
> > appreciate
> > > any pointers. I am a COMPLETE beginner on this!
> > >

> > How about an Arduino or MBED NXP (http://mbed.org/nxp/lpc1768/)?
> >
> > I'm contemplating which one of the two to get at the moment -
that
> > attraction of the mbed is that it has ethernet built in, but I'm
not su=
re