Re: UKHA Archive Down

Very interesting IT geek topic.

I originally started in internal IT providing IT work the company I worked
for. In this case then yes someone has screwed up and not off sited the
backup tapes.

Now I work for an outsourcer who provides IT as a service for other
companies and it is very simple. Has the client paid for an Offsite tape
backup service? If not then they cannot expect one.

Interesting question is was service did WestHost say they were providing.

All of this is chat rather than criticism. If it helps I have lots of old
UKHA messages going back to 2002 on my laptop if you have anything missing.

Cheers
Ben

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Phillip Harris <phil@...> wrote:

> Bit late to be worrying about that now and I'm sure that it's not as
clear cut as it seems - there'll have been a number of consultants involved
and decisions taken in setting up their systems.

> I think it's always easy to criticise decisions on implementation of
systems after the event and when you're not involved directly - yes, it
does seem like a few pretty basic cockups in the design were missed but...

> /me shrugs
>
> Lets face it, with an infinite pot of money then every job should be
done right and every eventuality accounted for but there's no such thing as
an infinite pot of money. ;-)