Re: UKHA Archive Down

  • Subject: Re: UKHA Archive Down
  • From: "the_home_automator" <dbuckley@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:23:28 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Groups" <groups@...> wrote:
> What sort or organisation keeps there backup server
> (or tapes etc) in
> not only the same building, but the same room!!!

The truth of the matter is most hosting companies dont do backups at all.
So a backup, even in the same room, is a huge plus point.  One of the other
WestHost customers did a quick email survey of big hosters, and WestHost
has by some margin the best backups of any of the commodity hosters.

Of the however-many servers WestHost have, just two are at this time
considered irrecoverable.  The Archive is on one of them <sulk>

The other sites I host at WestHost are all happily back, having been
restored and rebuilt.

I have what appears to be a full copy of the Archive website with something
over 140K files (almost all individual messages) from about Feb 2008, plus
all the messages from around that time to now, so it looks like even if the
WestHost site never comes back, I can get the Archive back up.

The celery _will_ live on :)

There are plenty of folks in much worse state than I'm in - they have
limited or no backup whatsoever, and their servers are business-critical;
the website is the money machine and without it bankruptcy looms.  You can
argue about the sensibility of that, but I guess this is just a byproduct
of low cost hosting.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums