Re: UKHA Archive Down

...so you mean that it's just possible that the world may be about to lose
some of the most gifted writings known to man? Including the legendary
"celery" discussion and my arrest over biting a shop assistant?

:-D

Phil

On 24 Feb 2010, at 23:30, the_home_automator wrote:

> Hi fellas
>
> Due to a catastrophic failure at the colo centre where the Archive
lives, its been down for a few days and if we're lucky, it'll be back up by
the weekend.  If we're unlucky its going to take me a while to rebuild an
archive site with over 100K messages.

> The catastrophic event was accidental release of inergen fire
suppressent gas into the data centre.  Before the release everything was
humming along nicely.  After the release, more than 500 harddisks were
trashed.

> Those of you with a heavy IT background will of course understand that
this isn't the way it supposed to be, Inergen is supposed to be a nice
harmless gas.  But the guessing at the moment is that due to either a
sudden change in room pressure, or possibly sudden loud noise, rotating
platters and stationary heads had a touchy feely moment, making the disk
instantly useless.

> The colo centre, owned by Consonus, is in Utah.  WestHost.com, my
hoster host there, along with their sister company vps.net.  Both are are
now owned by UK2.net who you'll all be familiar with.