Re: Converting Cat 5 to TV Coax and TV distribution amp advice needed

I realise from trying to look stuff up on there myself that Google is
a very hit-and-miss thing but I stumbled upon exactly the search criteria
you might need...

"UHF CAT5"

Gets you loads of appropriate hits including a page at CyberSelect with RF
to CAT5 baluns for a tenner a pair.

The other advice given on here about making sure your source signal is good
stands firm - if you're going to start throwing aerial amps in the mix and
you feed it a shit signal you just get louder (and more distorted) shit out
the other end ... With freeview nowadays weak signals aren't usually a
problem - it's signal to noise ratio that you need to keep your eye on.

Phil

Sent from another bloody fruit-based portable device...

On 28 Dec 2010, at 15:22, "darren_karp2001"
<darren.karp@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My daughter got a new TV for Xmas and the only cabling in her room is
a pair of cat 5's. I have soldered the orange and green pairs to a length
of normal coax to which I have connected to a standard TV coax faceplate,
at the other end I have connected a small 1-in 4-out F type unpowered
distribution amp under the stairs to my small patch panel but to be honest
the picture quality on the new TV isn't great. We have two other TV's
upstairs (one of which is also connected to the amp) and neither of these
pictures are outstanding to be honest.

> Am I okay to keep this cat 5 to coax connected or should I use
something else, buy a powered amp, etc?