Re: [OT] Network Analysis Software Advice Needed

Morning,

As Simon says, it's worth only tackling problematic areas. Personally I
wouldn't bother with Cat6 unless you either have money to burn, planning
on 10GigE, or are recabling from scratch with professional installers.
Faceplates, turn radii, grounding, etc. They're all a pain in the arse :-)

On the other hand, your cabling may be Cat3 (out from 1990ish), which is
doing well if it's providing gigabit speeds! Maybe opt for a more down
to earth Cat5 installation instead? That can be done yourself with easy
obtainable tools and training from a couple of web pages. It's just a
glorified phone cable really.

If you want to test network throughput, you could use iperf or some
other network speed test tool to check actual throughput. Check it
against a known good cable and then check with your existing cabling to
see what difference there is. The other option is big bucks territory
for cable analysis, qualification, certification, etc if you wanted to
be absolutely sure you're getting the best from the cable.

Kyle

On 01/12/10 21:18, Darren Karp wrote:
> Thanks Kyle. Have been giving this some though tonight and the network
> cabling is circa 1995 so will not be up to gigabit spec. The PC's that
have
> gigabit NIC's are showing gigabit connectivity to the new Netgear
Prosafe 16
> port switch I bought today. Can this be trusted or am I better
creating a
> new Cat 6 network in the office?

NIC to
>> 1.0gbits but let it find its own speed?
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Darren
>>

>> From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
>>
> [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
] On Behalf
> Of
>
>> Kyle Gordon
>> Sent: 01 December 2010 11:26
>> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx <mailto:ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>
>> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] [OT] Network Analysis Software Advice Needed
>>

>> In addition to this, the gigabit spec requires autonegotiaton.
Don't try
>> to hack around it by setting dups and speeds manually. Fix the
source of
>> the problem :-)
>>
>> Kyle

(especially when