Re: Case modding / cutting to install SATA multi-disk caddies

  • Subject: Re: Case modding / cutting to install SATA multi-disk caddies
  • From: "keyvan2r" <k1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:25:33 -0000

Thanks to Adrian & Paul for the input and advice.
I think I might go with the rotary tool.
Even with the case dismantled, the space to get inside the drive-bays is
very limited and the tabs only stick out a few mm's - I tried to bend back
the tabs but there was not enough to get a grip! The hack-saw or tin snips
may not work - and even if they do there might not be a clean/flush cut so
I shall need to file/grind down the last bit.

Thanks again for prompt & useful replies.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "keyvan2r" <k1@...> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> A while ago I switched from WHS to unRaid for my media server and am
very happy with it. I can stream 4 bluray movies to clients without any
skipping/freezing - not so with WHS!!
> I am using a coolermaster case with 9x exposed 5.25" bays. While
looking to expand the hot-swap bays (5x3.5 in 3x5.25).
> The caddy will not fit as it has flat sides (i.e. no grooves between
inidividual 5.25 drives) and the case has guide/supports for single 5.25
drives. These are small tabs which are formed by a cut-out from the side
and bent/angled to 90 degrees. My only option seems to be to cut these tabs
so the caddy/cage can slide in unobstructed. My question is what would be
the best tool to do this?
> So far I am considering a rotary tool like this one:
>
> http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223105
>
> Can anyone offer some advice please? My knowledge as to what might cut
steerl / alloy is very limited. Do these small 18v rotary tools have enough
power / correct cutting disks to cut through the average pc case / drive
enclosure?

> Thank you...

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums