Re: Office IP phone system

  • Subject: Re: Office IP phone system
  • From: "Chris McGookin" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 01:23:00 +0100

Some of the linux/ Asterisk based options are well worth considering-
they have the advantage of being able to use SIP phones from Cisco, Mitel,
Siemens, Aastra, etc as well as being low cost (or free depending on
approach). Voicemail, IVR, etc

I've use the SARK PBX available from  http://www.selintra.co.uk/business_phone_system/
as it's built on SME server which was a Mitel sponsored project. Mitel
still use their commercial derivative of SME server for their teleworker
remote VoIP and Nupoint voicemail solutions giving Asterisk/ VoIP solutions
based on it access to good options of NAT traversal, etc. Uptime on the
first asterisk system I installed for is now over 4 years (charity, 25
extensions with SIP DDI, almost all external lines now changed to VoIP
running over ADSL2.
I know SARK is used in a number of call centres with 50+ agents and
redundant "call manager" setup.

I'm not a big fan of Cisco VoIP as a lot of the systems I get involved in
have large percentages of analogue phones, personal experience is that call
manager and the related hardware isn't a particularly dependable or
reliable solution in this environment.
Cisco in office environment with UM, etc is nice if your bank account is
too full!

Mitel ICP3300 is my favourite mainstream system- good web interface with
context based help and good dedicated hardware derived from Mitel's long
term experience. The basic hardware is reasonably priced but you have to be
a bit careful about how you license things for the best value.

I've no commercial interest in any of the above!

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums