Re: DIY Windows Home Server Build - JukeBox MkII

Very interesting article.

On the energy saving angle I found that using the Scan CPU tester (a bunch
of LEDs and a dummy load to power up the PSU) one PSU used 15w/27va - the
old one that I was going to use consumed 26w/42va. Quite a difference
percentage wise.

If you remember from my posting a month of so agon. I went for a 5-way
Icybox fitting. Apart from cooling the other advantage of using the 4-way
Icybox rack is that the 5-way Icybox doesn't have space for the grooves
that
would normally support the individual CD drives in the case so surgery is
necessary. I ended up bending them out the way in the case of my server and
removing all the electronics from the external SCSI case and sawing them
off
before rebuilding as an external eSATA subsystem. During testing when I was
forcing copies between adjacent drives for hours on end the drives reported
30-34c - ambient 20c. I have a mix of WD 2 and 3 platter 1Tb Green Drives
and a Samsung one. Strangely even from cold startup the Samsung drive
reports a 2-3 degrees lower temperature. I chose different manufacturers
and
different types to mitigate against a "lets all fail at roughly the
same
time as we have been running for the same time" scenario.

I only got a single 5-way which is now in the external case - I may go for
4 way as that will match the number of SATA slots on the card and
multiplier. I'm waiting a while (i.e. until I get another job < plug

Mainframe Databases < /plug >) before adding the extra bays to the
server
permanently and also by then 1.5 Tb drives will be priced the same as the
1Tb ones now.

Should we have a WHS thread? There are a few gotchas and issues that may be
of interest plus a few suggested Add-ins. I'm doing various recovery
scenarios and backup tests before putting real data on it.

Simon