Re: One of the 'Oh damn' moments

Just thought I'd let people know how I got on with recovering my data
from a formated disk.

I tried TestDisk but without much success as it appears to only
understand a smallish number of file types. So I was able to my mp3's
but all of the file names where mucked up (as only about 50% of them
are fully tagged, renaming the didn't work too well), I wasn't able to
recover my raw photos (jpg okay) and no video files.

I ended up trying "Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery" and
"GetDataBack for NTFS" which are both commercial products. Both
did
the job of correctly listing all of the files with the directory
structures (TestDisk only lists files). I ended up purchasing Windows
Data Recovery and whilst its not so quick (as I am recovering from a
1tb USB drive) it does appear to have been completely successful.

JB