One of the 'Oh damn' moments

  • Subject: One of the 'Oh damn' moments
  • From: John Benfield <john.benfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 08:53:39 +0100

Looking for some help here as I had one of the 'oh damn' moments last
night. I paraphrase what I actually said for the more sensitive of you
out there.

Last night I rebuild my WHS server, knowing full well that the disk
would be formatted and all data would be lost - you know where this is
going don't you ....

Anyway, I copied all of my important data off to a external 1tb USB
drive. Unfortunately when I then rebuilt my WHS I left the drive
plugged into the USB slot, and even though the drive was not listed in
the partition list as one that would get format - guess what happened.
Me not at all happy (okay I should have pulled the drive before start
the rebuild).

I now have an both internal and external disks with a very basic WHS
file system layout and no bloody files. I am hoping that only the
basic header information on the file systems has been overwritten and
the real data is still on the disk.

Does anyone have any recommendations of software that might be able to
trawl through the disks and see what It can recover. I done a quick
Google on the subjet and there appear to be many options, so looking
for some more person recommendations.

JB