Music file formats with Sonos

  • Subject: Music file formats with Sonos
  • From: "Tony" <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 08:53:45 -0000

Until recently i had all the tracks on my media server in mp3 format
as I had been playing them with devices such as Rio, Exstreamer etc

I've now changed to using Sonos (currently 2 x ZP120 and an S5 on order) so
have replaced the mp3 versions of my itunes tracks with the m4a versions

But am wondering if I should re-rip my CD's to flac (though this will mean
keeping 2 music libraries as my ipod and iphone can't play flac as far as i
know, but space isn't a problem)

The thing is it's going to take quite a while to re-rip the tracks to flac
and I'm wondering if, as i'm no audiophile, whether re-ripping them from
mp3 to a lossless format will really make that much difference to the sound
for me

Was wondering what format other sonos users tend to use please, and if they
feel it's worth the effort to re-rip them? If so, is there a recommended
program to rip them to flac with please?

Also, if I do re-rip is it worth also ripping them to m4a (perhaps from the
flac version later) for the ipod/iphone's rather than keeping the mp3
versions please?

Many thanks
Tony