From: Martyn Wendon
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Sent: 11 October 2009 13:17
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Bye Bye Sky...

It would be worth opening one up and taking a look at the caps on the psu.
If any are bulging or even leaking they need replacing.

The old Thomsons had problems with the caps being from a cheap manufacturer
(which was made worse by heat).

I've had all the same / similar symptoms as yourself over the past few
years
in various Sky boxes and found that a replacement psu with uprated caps
works wonders.

I got mine from http://www.digifixltd.co.uk/, more
info at
http://www.digifixltd.co.uk/powersupplyrepair.html

Mine still aren't perfect (e.g. if I try to record 2 HD programs at once
and
watch a 3rd more often than not the recordings will be rubbish), but
they're
loads better than they were before.

Unfortunately a psu won't fix the 5h*t GUI!

Martyn