Re: [OT] Email Archives

I've recently done this with my old Outlook 2003 .pst archives as I've
moved totally to web & phone interface for gmail now, after many years
using gmail POP & IMAP in outlook.

I had only a couple of GB .pst files to import and did it manually by
creating an IMAP account within Outlook for new gmail account, then
'drag and dropping' the message in bulk from outlook's personal
folders to IMAP account (gave me a chance to clear out some unwanted
messages too). TIP : If you create a 'folder' in Outlook within the
gmail IMAP inbox, these appear as labels & any messages dropped here
will have the label applied when they transfer to gmail (useful for
sent items etc....).

The process was painless and I'm very pleased with Gmail's search &
indexing capabilities.

My experience was when you drag and drop from outlook personal folders
to IMAP it seems to delete the Outlook local copy, so it's wise to
make a duplicate of the PST before opening it in Outlook to preserve a
copy for future.

Hope this helps,
Ben

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Rob Mouser <groups@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> All this talk of email has got me thinking.....
>

> I have several archives of past work email, probably a good 10-15gig.
At