Re: [OT] Email Archives

The one BIG benefit is Googles excellent indexing and
> I also like the "labels" function as you can add more than
one label to
> an email.
>
> I'm now wondering whether to import all my mail into gmail (I would
> still hold onto my precious backups!). I'd have to pay for extra
storage
> but that's not toooo bad.

Rob

That's exactly what I've done.  I had an 8gig PST file which I opened in
Outlook, then created an IMAP account for my GMail and dragged and dropped
the emails from the PST to the cloud.

It probably took over a month to do this - so it was quite painful.  There
are probably better ways of doing it - commercial utilities?.  For our work
Domain which is on Google Apps we were able to download this Google tool to
automatically do the same thing...

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/email_uploader.html

This app wouldn't work for my non-apps personal GMail account though.

I upgraded from the free 7Gig mail box by paying $20 (per year) for another
10GB, As you say the searching then becomes a breeze.  Filters and
"Quick
Links" are especially useful as is the excellent sp@m filtering.

M.