Re: New Build

Hello James,

> We are just starting to price an Automation System for a new 5 bed
house. I
> have currently included 24 CAT5 outlets (2 per bed, 2 Living, 2
Kitchen, 4
> TV/Study, 4 Study, 2 Dining). We will be installing 48 way switch to
leave
> room for IP cameras etc. Are there any other ports that I should
consider?
> More in the kitchen (System X)? Also, is a managed switch overkill for
> home?
>
> On the Automation front it looks like we will be using Cbus, Crestron
or
> Control4. Does anyone have any suggestions on which is best? My main
query
> with Cbus is how does it interface with other systems?
> (Security/AV/HVAC/etc)

A couple of notes:
* Automation front (1) Software: I am biased LinuxMCE.
* Automation front (2) Hardware: Z-Wave
* Switch (1): I only buy Cisco or 3Com (the ones with PoE)
* Switch (2): PoE for phones, IP cameras and WiFi access points
* Switch (3): I would not buy a single big switch, but multiple
smaller ones, to have some kind of fallback, and better bandwidth
allocation.

--
Best regards

Peer Oliver Schmidt