RE: Plex + Mac =

> Well, I'm not quite sure yet as I only got it fired up tonight.
>=20
> However the ingredients are as follows...
>=20
> One new style Mac Mini
> Digital out toslink thingy
> DVI to HDMI convertor
> Plex (free)
> Elgato TV tuner thingy
> Logitech DiNovo Mini
>=20
> Bill =3D =A3700

I do fancy a DiNovo Mini (or at least giving one a try) as I'm currently
using the aluminium Bluetooth Apple keyboard and a Microsoft Bluetooth
mous=
and I keep getting a white message coming up while I'm watching movies on
the Mac saying "Connection to keyboard lost" or "Connection
to mouse lost"
as they go into sleep mode (I assume) - it's bloody annoying. Especially as
my Mini is set to boot straight into Plex so I don't actually need a
keyboard or mouse at all but if it boots and doesn't have a mouse then it
complains and won't shut up until it does. :-D
=20
> Results... oh yes, there's results.
>=20
> I have an HTPC, in comparison to a Doze box, the size of a postage
> stamp.
>=20
> It runs Slimserver in the background no problem at all. It streams
> internet radio. It plays movies, music and a host of other stuff I've
> yet to explore.
>=20
> Picture quality is easily equal to or better than Vista MCE on a
> decent machine.
>=20
> Sound quality is, again, easily equal to MCE.
>=20
> But just to annoy some Irish dude that's on here every now and then,
> here's the bad news...
>=20
> DiNovo Mini is a bit of a PITA, it's fiddly to use but it does work
> and is extremely neat and very cool. Connects as Mark said no problem
> to the Mac but I still can't work out where the CMD key is.
>=20
> Elgato software is a bit pants though from what I've seen of it.
> Integration with Plex is, IMO, essential. IR is just crap to it, if
> you catch the right angle when the light shines a certain way and you
> cross your fingers at just the right angle, it'll work. Don't and, it
> won't.

I have the Apple remote IR codes learned into my Prontos and have no
problems with IR not hitting home so I can't complain there ... the Apple
remote though is much more directional.

> Plex is good but, in some areas, totally non-newbie friendly although
> the results when you mess with it can be very good indeed. Looks
> gorgeous out the traps however.

Yup - looks great at first sight!

> Plex has *SO* much potential to be more, it could easily (I think)
> surpass MCE it's unreal, but it really needs some dumbing down in some
> ways and features added in others.

Remember that a big part of MCE is the ability to timeshift TV and schedule
recording of material (including the epg) which if you take that away from
MCE removes a huuuuge chunk of its functionality.=20

> I'd say it was written by geeks for
> geeks the way it is but, it is trying really hard to be better.

Well it was - its XBMC that was. ;-)

> HD rips have proved no problem from the limited amount of material I
> tried. DVD rips are fine as well but I had to play the VOB/IFO files
> to get it to work. This is fine if you're a bit geeky and understand
> the file structure of a DVD, not so good if you don't. For example, my
> better half would look at it blankly and wonder where the disc was,
> that's not good.

Ahhh - that's just because you haven't "Set Content" on that
share ...
that's what I was told when I did exactly the same when I set it up. :-D

My point is that once you've spent time using it (like Mark obviously has)
then that kind of thing seems obvious but for a newbie setting it all up is
just a bloody confusing mash of dingo's testicles.

> Like Phil I don't get the whole Movies, Videos thing, it just doesn't
> make sense to normal humans. They're the same damn thing, get over it
> already.

:-D So it's not just me that doesn't get that way of implementing it? :-D

> TV shows, well if I could record any I'd be happy. But I can't at
> present, so that's pretty much meaningless.
>=20
> Music, Plex borks when you have lots and, lots of music. ;)

Yes, have to say the MCE interface to music is better but I don't want
either Plex or MCE to do music (nor do I want them to tell me the weather
either) ... I have far better kit to do music than that. ;-)

> To be fair it's a first run at it, I've yet to have time to explore it
> fully, understand it better and use it better.
>=20
> All that said, would I go back to MCE on a Doze box?
>=20
> Probably not.

I would if MCE would do a good job of playing DVDs off a network...

...now what I really want to do is get some free time and look into writing
a ProntoScript app for getting a new style "scroll wheel"
equipped Pronto t=
list all my DVDs on its screen and then just try to do a small dumb app on
=
PC that is simply a DVD player taking commands from the Pronto - that would
be the best solution for me! :-D

Phil