Help, three optical inputs - matrix switcher? converter? toslink switch?

  • Subject: Help, three optical inputs - matrix switcher? converter? toslink switch?
  • From: "noel_pilot" <noel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:58:31 -0000

Hi all,
Am in the process of putting a tv into the main bedroom with cable runs in
the walls down to the media cupboard in the lounge.

Had it all planned out using the downstairs amp to switch the video as it
does now with just a component splitter on the output so it would feed both
the downstairs projector and the upstairs tv. A stereo phono from the
record output on the amp was to push sound to the upstairs tv.

Sources include a mac mini (video direct to tv, sound optical into amp) and
an xbox 360 video and sound through amp over component and toslink.

Alas I've just been foiled by the realisation that my amp (and it seems
most if not all others) doesn't output any digital inputs from the analog
record outputs.  (This now appears rather obvious to me why it doesn't but
hey ho).

So... looking for some options.  I hadn't planned to use a separate amp for
the bedroom. Was going to just use the tv speakers.  However I now need to
get two optical sources from the lounge to the bedroom and keep them
connected to lounge amp by optical also.

1 - a toslink splitter on each one, a toslink cable in the wall and an amp
upstairs receiving those signals and putting it into a couple of speakers

2 - a toslink switcher but haven't seen any IR controlled ones yet and the
idea of having to use a manual switch is a bit annoying.

3 - a matrix switcher of some kind, ideally one that could convert optical
to analog but that might be asking a lot and not really looking to spend a
great deal.  Have found a cables to go 6x2 component matrix that would do
all but the converting for around $130 but not sure yet if I can get it
shipped to the UK.

I have 5 spare cat 5 runs in the wall and plenty of string so running more
cables isn't a real problem.  As it's something I completely hadn't
considered cost is an issue, happy to consider second hand options.

Any thoughts anyone?!!

Thanks

Noel