Re: Help, three optical inputs - matrix switcher? converter? toslink switch?

The headphone coverter here looks interesting, I haven't explored the
other options discussed there though.
http://forum.gefen.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3D1960

Or this?
http://www.hideflifestyle.com/gefen-extdigaud2aaud-p-1284.html?zenid=3D7267=
3b8520d69dc0eb0772e7eb73cb3b
or http://tinyurl.com/lv4g8l
(Gefen p/n EXT-DIGAUD-2-AAUD)

HTH,

Tim.

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 12:58 PM, noel_pilot<noel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Am in the process of putting a tv into the main bedroom with cable
runs i=
n the walls down to the media cupboard in the lounge.

> Had it all planned out using the downstairs amp to switch the video as
it=
does now with just a component splitter on the output so it would feed bot=
h the downstairs projector and the upstairs tv. A stereo phono from the
rec=
ord output on the amp was to push sound to the upstairs tv.

> Sources include a mac mini (video direct to tv, sound optical into
amp) a=
nd an xbox 360 video and sound through amp over component and toslink.

> Alas I've just been foiled by the realisation that my amp (and it
seems m=
ost if not all others) doesn't output any digital inputs from the analog
re=
cord outputs. =A0(This now appears rather obvious to me why it doesn't but
=
hey ho).

> So... looking for some options. =A0I hadn't planned to use a separate
amp=
for the bedroom. Was going to just use the tv speakers. =A0However I now n=
eed to get two optical sources from the lounge to the bedroom and keep
them=
connected to lounge amp by optical also.

> 1 - a toslink splitter on each one, a toslink cable in the wall and an
am=
p upstairs receiving those signals and putting it into a couple of speakers

> 2 - a toslink switcher but haven't seen any IR controlled ones yet and
th=
e idea of having to use a manual switch is a bit annoying.

> 3 - a matrix switcher of some kind, ideally one that could convert
optica=
l to analog but that might be asking a lot and not really looking to spend
=
a great deal. =A0Have found a cables to go 6x2 component matrix that would
=
do all but the converting for around $130 but not sure yet if I can get it
=
shipped to the UK.

> I have 5 spare cat 5 runs in the wall and plenty of string so running
mor=
e cables isn't a real problem. =A0As it's something I completely hadn't
con=
sidered cost is an issue, happy to consider second hand options.