Latest message you have seen: Re: CurrentCost external install

Re: CurrentCost external install

Re: Gas meter reading

It maybe is a little Heath Robinson, but I have a scheme
I am planning to install this weekend. I have an HOA1405-2
reflective optical sensor that I plan to 'blu-tack' to the front
of the meter**. The '0' on the least significant dial is reflective,
and so this should generate a pulse stream. Feeding this
into a weeder technology dig input box, should generate
a counted value that can be read. My alternative is a
RFXMeter <http://www.rfxcom.com/descr_RFXMeter.htm>box,
but I didn't want to
spend the money until
I knew I could get this to work.

I have seen others online do this, but can't find the link
anywhere...

My big question is how do you do the same on a water
meter? There are no reflective digits, and I have tried to
sniff using a reed switch for magnetic effects. I suspect
I need a hall effect switch which will be much more
sensitive and pick up the underlying meter component.

Tim.

** There is a requirement to 'not make any permanent
attachment to the meter'. I figure blutack is about as
non-permanent as you can get...