Latest message you have seen: Re: (OT) On line photo albums

Re: 24 Port RM Gigabit Switches

  • Subject: Re: 24 Port RM Gigabit Switches
  • From: Jamie Whitehorn <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:53:20 GMT

Hi Mark,

I managed to get a re-furbished Netgear GS724T off Trusted Goods on eBay
fo=
r =A399+P&P a couple of months ago. It was refurbished by Netgear and
came =
with a 3 month warranty. It's living in the homemade node0 rack in the
loft=
and, so far, it's behaved flawlessly. If you keep an eye on eBay you shoul=
d be able to pick up a 2nd hand unit for sub =A3100, though you might need
=
to wait for a couple of auctions to get that price.=20

The speed thing on Ethernet is all or nothing. You either get gigabit, or
i=
t will fallback to megabit. The good news is you don't need cat5e for
gigab=
it, cat5 should work. The only gotcha I can think of it 100Mb Ethernet
uses=
4 of the 8 wires in a cable, Gigabit uses all 8 and is a bit more sensativ=
e to cable termination and strain as it uses multiple signal levels rather
=
than the simple 1 or 0 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_Ethernet).
Hav=
ing said that, I've got gigabit connections on all of my cabling, and it's
=
not the worlds best (including the 4 spliced cables where I got the
measure=
ments wrong and had to add some cable on - doh!)

HTH, Jamie
=20
--
http://www.digitalpicy.com