Re: Smart Meter on trial (BBC Video)

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Bendall" <paul@...>
wrote:

> I'm coming to the conclusion that you need two Node1 servers (if
> that makes sense) 1 very low power that is all 24/7 and another
> high powered that only comes on for CPU intensive tasks, i.e web-
> serving, ripping CDs /DVDs / Blu-Ray disks and streaming. The low
> power one can control the high powered with WoL and CLI shutdown /
> hibernate.

Agreed, that's the way I've been heading, although in my case I didn't
think (at the time) the Mini-ITX route was the best way to go for
cost-related reasons (mini-ITX parts tend to cost more) so went for a
"mainstream" m-ATX motherboard with a low power Sempron in it and
when
properly set up with Cool'n'Quiet etc its power usage won't be that high.

The 7x24 box will run Asterisk, MYSQL (for MythTV), 1-wire data
collection, record power  meter data, handle incoming email, etc, and
the rest will be done by the other box via WOL like you said.