Re: [OT] (ish) Help looking for mobo recommendation

  • Subject: Re: [OT] (ish) Help looking for mobo recommendation
  • From: "Dominic" <desade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:58:19 -0000

I am running my main PC on a ASUS P5B-MX/WiFi-AP=20

Almost fit's the bill (only downside is that cost is =A3113) - has the
PCI-e requirements, supports 6 SATA/300 in RAID 0,1,..., has 2 gigabit
+ wifi port, S/PDIF and the AI Nap feature is useful to minimise power
use.=20

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=3D1&model=3D1179&l1=3D3&l2=3D11=
&l3=3D307

Worth checking the CPU support though - I'm running an older core-2
and it may need BIOS upgrade to support newer models.

Had mine for over a year and only problem was running Vista on
mirrored RAID disk using the intel solution - had occassional OS
crashes when pushing it hard (OS disk now as standalone partition and
using ghost to take backups for recovery)

Dominic

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gordon" <paul@...> wrote:

> Vaguely on-topic, as I'm trying to rebuild my Media server...
>=20=20
> I've spent almost the whole of today scouring the usual vendors
websites looking for a suitable replacement mobo...
>=20=20
> I have some specific requirements, and I've found it's *really*
difficult to search sites for suitable products based on certain
features... :-(
>=20=20
> I need a board that *must* fit  the following:
>=20=20
> 1 x PCI-e X16 slot for graphics card
> 1 x PCI-e x4 or greater (i.e. another x16 slot, or an x8 slot or an
x4 slot) for a PCI-e x4 storage controller - slot must be wired with
at least x4 lanes to support max performance form the card.
> At least 2 onboard SATA/300 ports that support RAID 1
> Gigabit LAN - only need 1, don't really care if it has 2
> S/PDIF output onboard, ideally optical, but coax would do at a push.
I would accept one that used a header & a backplate bracket ONLY if
the bracket is included in the box
> Socket 775 that supports Core-2 CPU
>=20=20
> Failure to adhere to any one of those requirements instantly
eliminates it from consideration...
>=20=20
> I'd prefer to keep the cost (inc VAT) below =A3100 to maintain maximum
SWMBO acceptance...
>=20=20
> Number of USB ports isn't crucial. Firewire isn't crucial. HDMI
would be nice, but again isn't crucial. Fanless chipset cooler would
also be nice.