Re: Re: [OT] Virtual USB or Sata drive over network possible?

Yes, sorry, I did mean e-sata.

Thanks for the pointer Dermot. I hadn't heard of linux-USB gadget but a
quick google search shows it looks promising.

The need to run over cat5 isn't important actually - when I asked the
question I was thinking of the technomate being under the tv but I've
already moved it to n0 so it is sitting next to a linux server and could be
connected directly via usb.

I'll look into it more and report back.

Thanks
John

2009/1/1 dermot_bradley <bradley@xxxxxxx>

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "John Risby" <john@...> wrote:
> >
> > I've got a technomate 6900 hd satellite receiver/pvr which can
> > record onto usb memory sticks, usb drives or sata drives.
>
> When you say SATA I guess you mean E-SATA?
>
> > I was wondering if there was any usb or sata adapators that would
> > convert to cat5 and allow the use of a server on the network to
> > store the data? ie. run a service on a windows or linux server on
> > the network with a "virtual drive" and then somehow
connect the