Re: [OT] Virtual USB or Sata drive over network possible?

I was just looking for the same thing, for out new kitchen LCD.

I have found a USB NAS  - small unit but going the wrong way for me. I
though about a small PC but that is pointless as I could just connect it to
the HDMI port and miss out the usb all together.

There must be a linux app that can do this though.

Sean

2008/12/31 John Risby <john@xxxxxxx>

> Hello,
>
> I've got a technomate 6900 hd satellite receiver/pvr which can record
onto
> usb memory sticks, usb drives or sata drives.
>
> I was wondering if there was any usb or sata adapators that would
convert
> cat5 and allow the use of a server on the network to store the data?
ie.
> run
> a service on a windows or linux server on the network with a
"virtual
> drive"
> and then somehow connect the technomate to it using the usb or sata
port
> and
> then save directly to the server? the technomate would still think it
was
> saving to a phyiscal usb or sata drive, but really it would be saving
onto
> connected network server. Possible?
>
> Thanks
> John
>
> ps. any newcamd info welcome offlist. thanks.

> Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
> http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do, and they will
surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton