Re: Zone Zero - Rack Depth

Ben McCormack wrote:
> All
> I am planning to put in the first of 2 Node Zero racks in the next
couple of weeks. I have
> about 1m headroom so I am looking at 21U Racks.
> The only thing I am confused is the depth and shelf size. I have found
a suitable rack that
> is 600mm deep with 450mm deep shelves.
> The rack will house the usual Patch Panels, Switches, Mini Mac +
External Drive bay.
> I am going to put the AV Receivers in there. I will prob go for the
Denon receivers with the
> 2nd zone output to run extra speakers. I may also have a
homeseer/Geovision server at
> some point.
> My concern is with the overall depth and shelf depth. I don't really
want to go with a 1m
> deep rack as this would be complete overkill but I am not sure the AV
amp at 455mm
> Deep will sit well.

My AV cabinet (wooden sort, in the lounge) is about ~500mm deep, and
it's plenty enough. If you make it too deep, it just gets awkward to
connect up the cables (or everything is buried at the back). A more
important consideration is easy access to the back to get at the wiring.

I'm not sure you'd fit a 21U rack in if you really only have 1m height.
There's usually space (for wiring) above and below the rack space. My
22U cabinet is aprx 1.4m high, IIRC.

Also, finding a rackmount chassis that will fit in a 600mm deep rack can
be tricky, and the ones that do fit can be difficult to cool quietly.

> Just wondering what everyone else has done or does anyone know a 600mm
deep rack
> with 500mm shelves?

Email coming off list... :-)

Jim