Re: Hot water taps

Hi Tim,

I have one of these, and it rates top of my 'top 5 gadgets in the house'. I
think that it is fantastic - and because the water is so hot it makes a
cracking cup of tea (surely the absolute test?). We use it for drinks,
cooking, sterilising, baby bottles, cleaning - and even with pretty hard
usage it doesn't 'run out' of water. If you fill up a couple of pans, you
can make it run out, and then it takes about 10mins to reheat afresh.

We haven't had a kettle in our house since it was installed, and haven't
missed it at all. GBP650 is a bit steep (and that is the same as I paid for
it over 12mo ago also).

To the safety question - I am not completely convinced it is safer than a
kettle as claimed on the website. I have had one person try and wash their
hands under it (ugh) - but then I also had someone round who I told it was
hot water tap, we had a 10min conversation about it, and then he turned it
on and put his hand under it to see how hot it was....

They *claim* it is safer than a kettle (and I sort of see the logic)
because
it only outputs water at about 50-100ml/sec. As a result, if you do get
under it, you get out again pretty quick. A kettle on the other hand, you
can pull the cord and easily get 2l of scalding water over you in 1sec.

We have ours situated next to the sink, at the back of the counter - and
this means I am pretty sure that by the time our children are old enough to
reach around it to press and turn to switch it on, they will be smart
enough
to not burn themselves on it. However, the number of 'accidental' scaldings
when people were just 'trying out the cool tap' I think may go up short
term...

On reliability - we have run ours in pretty heavy usage (builders in for
6mo) plus family+children for 16mo now, and it is as good as the day it was
installed.

I did hear someone say B&Q were doing taps that were 'identical' for
GBP250,
but I suspect they are the 'instant heat with an inline element' type, but
haven't checked.

Tim,

2009/2/8 Phil Harris <phil@xxxxxxx>

>   "If it burns you you learn not to do it again"?
>
> Phil

Tim Ramsdale.