Re: Setting up an Airport Express

Dave McLaughlin wrote:
> Hey Jim,
> I got my setup to work but I do have some issues.
> The only way I could get the PC to detect the Airport express was to
put in
> a WiFi USB dongle. It would not detect it over the existing wireless
router
> that the PC was hardwired too.

Define "detect". You should be able to see the AE using the Apple
setup
software if both of them are connected to the netgear router (wired, or
wirelessly), but you won't see the AE directly from the laptop as you
could an AP if it doesn't have a wifi interface itself.

> The second issue that I seem to get is other applications stop being
able to
> connect to the Internet. This seems to happen after a reboot if the
Airport
> Express is detected after the hardwired connection. Seems to upset the
> routing somehow. The only fix is to do  renew on the hardwired
connection
> which sorts it out until the next reboot. Luckily I don't do that very
> often.

Sounds like the AE isn't [fully] connected to the router...?

From what I remember of your setup, you'll need to select "Join a
wireless network" for the Wireless Mode (and tick the "allow
ethernet
clients" if you want to connect a local device to the ethernet port on
the AE), and put in your WEP password (as hex).

You may need to connect directly to the AE's ethernet port temporarily
in order to get that config up and running though.

Jim