RE: What did Santa Bring?

HI There,

I got one of the maplin 5inc MID devices after seeing it on this group.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=286831

First thoughts... not great. The battery life is appauling, but not such
a big deal for me as I wanted to use it on bedside for access to
Homeseer, so would be plugged in. The kicker for me is the Wifi. It's
range is.. well, pathetic. My wifi unit is at the bottom of the stairs,
if I go up the stairs and into the landing (about 5 meters away) I loose
connection completely. No chance in hell of getting a signal in the
bedroom about 7 meters away. My laptop though gets and excellent signal
in the bedroom.

The IE on the unit has no flash or Java so most websites have missing
content. I can't seem to find any flash or java that will work on it.

Most programs written for CE also dont seems to work. I wanted to have a
small alarm clock program running on it, and Homeseer in the background.
Can't find any decent alarm clock program, and becaus the wifi doesn't
reach the bedroom, can't have Homeseer.

I was also worried about having the screen on 24/7, and thought maybe I
could get some kind of screen saver that would move a clock around or
something... no joy finding anything so far.

All in all a bit of a dissapointment. Not really sure what to do with it
now :(

Thanks

Marc