Re: Bathroom Stuff - Your Experience?

  • Subject: Re: Bathroom Stuff - Your Experience?
  • From: "paul_watkin" <paul.watkin33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 23:22:01 -0000

We are still in the midst of doing an ensuite. We initially went to
the usu=
al suspects of Ripples and Porcelenosa to get ideas, even went as far as
ge=
tting Ripples to come out and design something.

After being totally disheartened by the lack of imagination of the
designer=
coupled with a projected spend of around =A315K we decided to go it alone =
with the help of a local bathroom showroom.

We ended up plumping for a wet room system from Lux Elements, which
basical=
ly consists of structural panels made by sandwiching polystyrene between
tw=
o layers of glass fiber and cement- extremely light very strong and
cutable=
using a carving knife.

>From comparing the literature I believe the Lux product is the wet room
pro=
duct available from B&Q - although it is significantly cheaper when
bought =
on the internet as Lux product.

They have also launched an interesting range of preformed shapes for baths
=
and sinks as well as curved wall shower kits. You can also use a slit
versi=
on of the board to make curved wall sections if you are feeling brave.

Marmox is another brand that offer the simple boards and shower trays at
si=
gnificantly lower cost than lux.

If you want a regular shape walk in shower tray / wet room then Impey
AquaD=
ec is worth a look as is Wedi.

Bathroom furniture is from Duravit as they had products in the same wood
as=
we have used throughout the ground floor furnishings

We initially toyed with the idea of getting a custom shower screen but
cost=
s were massive so decided on one from Elysium. The Lux elements shower
tray=
has been cut to follow the curved profile of the glass.

Had Aqualisa Quartz in the last house and thought they were great but this
=
time went for GroheTherm Wireless as I prefer the look of the controller
an=
d Screwfix were knocking them out at =A3300 a couple of months ago!!

The showerhead is one of a 300mm diameter job from Hansgrohe that we have
m=
odified slightly such that it is actually flush with the ceiling rather
tha=
n hanging down as normally fitted.=20

Koehler do some stunning looking shower jets that could be used to make a
v=
ery discrete ceiling mounted shower head - only drawback is that you will
n=
eed very good pressure and flow as well as shed loads of hot water!

If you want a floating toilet or sink then Geberit do some great frames
tha=
t just bolt in place and make life so much easier. The Geberit system also
=
allows you to customise the toilet flush plate to match the decor.

All of the Brassware came from Hansgrohe - as with the geberit stuff you
ju=
st need to make sure you have a decent plumbers merchant nearby as all of
t=
he plumbing connections are European sizes and need adaptors - not
difficul=
t to get but bloody annoying if they forgot to mention it when you
ordered!=
!

After looking at the ludicrously expensive Vileroy Boch bathroom lights we
=
ended up going for colour changing decking lights from B&Q at a
fraction of=
the cost which have been mounted a few inches above the floor and are hook=
ed up to the same circuit as the light in alcoves and above the mirror (we
=
struggled to find good looking waterproof bathroom lights so ended up
going=
for outdoor garden lights for the alcoves).=20

Lighting will be controlled via CBUS switch and also indoor PIR.

Underfloor heating is by Warmup - as they had the nicest looking
controller=
and apparently it is more energy efficient due to something or other built=
into it where it learns how long the floor takes to warm up. This also use=
s the same type of board as the walls for floor insulation which cuts heat
=
up time by 50%

The other big Brand here seems to be Devi

Sound is from a KEF soundlight system hooked up to a Squeeze duet receiver
=
and sky box.=20

Demisting mirror element is going to be from Warmup.

The one missing element thus far is a silent extractor fan, so if anyone
co=
mes across one please shout!!=20

If you want any info or pictures please let me know

Cheers

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Mark McCall <lists@...> wrote:

> About to 'do up' a bathroom and I'm interested to hear peoples
experience=