Re: Re: Room temperature measuring system

Hi Pete,

IMHO the Quasar unit is a bit of a beginners introduction to Dallas 1-wire
sensors - I started out with one and added more as I needed more
temperature
sensors, eventually running out of COM ports (4 Quasar units).

I recently changed to something a bit more advanced in an
"HA7NET"
(http://www.embeddeddatasystems.com/HA7Net--Ethernet-1-Wire-Host-Adapter_p_22.html)
which is an ethernet enabled 1-wire interface (they also do a non-ethernet
version).  I went for the ethernet version as I wanted to not rely on any
physical connection to a PC.

It's leaps and bounds better than the Quasar units as it supports more
sensors (both in  terms of type and quantity) and has 3 separate 1-wire
buses.

So far I've wired one of the ports into a 24-port CAT5 patch panel using
bus
type wiring so that each port can then be patched into my CAT5 cabling that
goes around the house to 20 odd temperature sensors.  At the remote ends I
use a mixture of either temperature sensors soldered onto standard CAT5
patch cables, or crimped into RJ45 plugs, or just screwed into choc-block
on
the ends of the CAT5.

Works well so far, it has a web interface and there's plugins for things
like HomeSeer and HouseBot.  I use mine with a simple Perl script that
polls
for the reading from each temperature sensor every minute and outputs it
using the xAP HA Protocol where it's then picked up in xAP Floorplan for
display and data storage.

Hope this helps!

Martyn