Re: Windows Home Server performance - very slow.. any ideas?

  • Subject: Re: Windows Home Server performance - very slow.. any ideas?
  • From: "keyvan2r" <k1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 20:24:48 -0000

Thanks for the post Phil.
The choking is all to do with disk access, its very rare that cpu use
monitore on task manager or performance console runs high. The indicators
which are maxing out are all to do physical disk access seem to be ones
which run to their maximum.
I looked at Drive Extender Migrator (demigrator) and the MS tech brief on
WHS Drive extender which covers load-balancing and duplication.
There does not seem to be that much one can do about it!!!
you can't unistall demigrator becuase then whs won't see the extended
volume. I can't imagine how I would go about testing what h/w combination
is the problem short of building another machine!
All in all, its seems to be hopeless!!
Thanks anyway, will look for more things to try before I go back  to the
drawing board.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Phil Harris" <phil@...> wrote:

> Demigrator.exe I mean...
>
> Google it and you'll see it's an issue that others have had...
>
> Phil

"Demingrator.exe" ... if
> > it is
> > then it seems that some hardware combinations are prone to
Demigrator
> > taking
> > a hell of a toll whereas other hardware (which may be far less
> > powerful)
> > doesn't seem so affected.
> >
> > Phil

Sometimes
> > it
> > > times out...Also opening things like explorer or even double
clicking
> > > shortcuts takes ages to respond.
> > > When running the performance monitor (from server admin
tools) it
> > looks
> > > like when any of the shares are being accessed by client
pc's all
> > > physical disk activity indicators go to full / 100% usaged.
The cpu
> > > load remains ok (between 3% to 20%) but all indicators such
as:
> > > current disk queue length
> > > avg disk queue length
> > > avg disk write queue length
> > > avg disk read queue length
> > > These all go to 100% or full usage every 2 or 3 seconds
during any
> > form
> > > of disk access.
> > > Is this normal?? If so then it seems WHS is not that good
for large
> > > disk managment. I am sure this can not be the case.
> > > Is there any way I can improve disk performance. Is there
anywhere
> > were
> > > settings can be altered to sort this problem?
> > > Is there anyone else with this issue with similar type of HD
> > capacity?
> > > I have looked on a few forums for WHS and no joy so far.
> > > Any help, advice, or even pointing to a good resource to
research
> > this
> > > issue would be most appreciated.
> > > If I can not resolve this I will have to scrap the WHS
solution and
> > > look at alternatives which work like unRAID or other
disk-server