RE: Re: Power saving unit?

*chuckle* I did start to type a brief reply to the original post but
then
gave up as there isn't a brief reply. My last employer (Schneider Electric)
had entire divisions of the company dedicated to power factor correction on
an industrial scale where active power factor correction systems would be
applied to systems where you had a large number of very similar loads (say,
multi story carpark lighting) but nowhere in their catalogue of products
did
they have a bit of kit with the description "shhhhh - keep this a
secret but
if you bolt in this box and it will automatically save you money no matter
what the mishmash of loads are hanging off it"...

http://powerelectronics.com/power_management/motor_power_management/power-fa
ctor-correction-0507/

seems to be a reasonable attempt to explain power factor correction as a
general concept.

Myself, I'd probably say that if you want to buy one of those things then
buy one and you can keep the instructions for it next to the instructions
for the metal balls that you drop into your fuel tank to increase the
combustion efficiency of the petrol, the magnets that you clip to the water
pipes to soften your water, the electric fan "turbo" units that
you put of
your cars air intake to give you more power and the sky hooks and left
handed screwdrivers that the guys had you go fetch on your first day at
work... :-D

Phil

the one that