Re: Basic questions about "video streaming"

  • Subject: Re: Basic questions about "video streaming"
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:41:58 -0000

GBPVR is more than a UI for PCH. GBPVR is software that runs on a PC
and captures TV, so you can use it as PVR. GBPVR also support music, DVD,
photo libaries etc.

The GBPVR NMT client (Network Media Tank of which the PCH is one such
client) is called MVPMCX2 and has just been updated. It is loaded from a
network drive of the GBPVR PC or loaded on to the PCH HDD. You then just
use the skinable GBPVR interface (quite a few skins already exist)

Anyway for more info have a look at the GBPVR wiki:
http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

And GBPVR forum:
http://forums.gbpvr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

HTH

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@...> wrote:

> Paul
>
> Could you point me towards that custom UI for popcorn hour.
I'mlooking for something a bit nicer than the standard UI - one that
perhaps can display cover art.  But it seems a bit difficult to teack down
good UIs from the popcorn forum.

> Thanks
>
> Richard
>
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Bendall" <paul@> wrote:
> >
> > I would recommend Slysoft AnyDVD as well (it can also rip
Blu-ray), I use it to create the raw Video_TS structure. I then use
Handbrake to transcode the raw data into streamable h.264 format.

> > My media centre software is GBPVR which can also stream live TV
and act as a PVR solution for recording TV prgrammes with the use of
capture cards.

> > I then stream to a Popcorn Hour A-110 which has a custom UI
written by one of the contributors to GBPVR. I can browse the DVD
collection, recorde TV programmes or watch Live TV.

> > In addition I have PS3 Media Server which allows me to stream the
h264 files out to a Playstation 3 (PS3 doesn't support h264 so the media
server takes care of on the fly transcoding to a format the PS3 does
support)

> > Couple of observations, for timely transcoding of DVDs and then
re-transcoding on the fly requires a fairly modern and powerful PC. Mine is
a Intel Core2 Quad 2.5GHz based machine, you could probably get away with a
Dual Core Core2. If you are going to stream video I wouldn't bother with
wireless go wired.