Re: Re: Upgrading Your Home Network to Gigabit - The Speed Results

On 6 Apr 2009, at 12:55, Paul Bendall wrote:

> Thanks for the link, I'll have a read later.
>
> One other thing I was going to say was when testing large file
> transfer in Windows (I know your test was Mac to Mac) you should be
> aware of the buffering of the underlying copy process. Explorer,
> Copy, Xcopy and Robocoy all buffer which puts data in the system
> cache for large files this will run the system out of resources and
> slow the copy.
>
> Instead you need an unbuffered, raw copy. Have a look at Teracopy.
>
> http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php
>
> A full explanation can be found here:
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/05/08/slow-large-file-copy-issues.aspx
>
> Paul

OSX lies through its back teeth when doing large copying over the
network, you'll often see the progress dialog disappear even though,
when checking the sever side, you can see the data is still being
sent. It's a little disappointing to say the least. Indeed it's worse
if you are copying from attached storage, eg USB HDD - The dialog will
disappear and you might naturally try to eject the USB device only to
have the system tell you it's still in use. Unless you are aware of
what might be going on you may be tempted to yoink the USB cable.
Let's just hope you weren't copying the data off to your server to
repurpose the disk.... The upside is you onyl need to do it once to
learn that lesson!

---

Andy Powell / ScaredyCat / FuzzyCat

Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScaredyCat