Re: OT - New BluRay and AV Amp

I'm willing to be corrected on this, but when I asked the same
question at a Sony Center shop they said that the current, cheaper
Sony receivers don't upscale, they just switch: s-vid in to s-vid out
etc.. I didn't delve too deeply as I already had my eye on a Denon
receiver. Apparently there are newer Sonys coming out which will do
this although, so they said, they'll start at ~=A3550.

IIRC the Denon AVR-1908 (older & ~=A3250 now) and AVR-1909 (new &
~=A3450)
both upscale analogue inputs to pass them over HDMI. Most obvious
difference between the two is an extra HDMI input on the 1909... (3
vs. 2, IIRC).

HDMI can carry audio, whether it does I think depends on how you set
the amp up. I'd like to be able to choose - TV audio for general
watching, but then from the amp for films etc.

The other receiver in the running was/is an Onkyo at around =A3400 but I
forget the model #, sorry! I assume that upscales, but can't confirm
for sure.

I haven't bought anything yet (apart from the TV) - I'm hoping the
price of the 1909 will drop a bit before I take the plunge.

HTH,

Tim.