Re: Room occupancy detection and door opening/closing - 1-wire or wireless solution?

  • Subject: Re: Room occupancy detection and door opening/closing - 1-wire or wireless solution?
  • From: "dermot_bradley" <bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:45:36 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "ofthefuture" <ofthefuture@...>
wrote:

> Is there nothing out there that could utilise something like the old
> fashioned alarm system pressure mats - OK, you could only use them
> in places where you have carpets (or hide them under rugs) but I
> guess these would be easier to fit and fiddle with than any beams
> and could equally determine direction of movement if you had one on
> each side of the doorway.

Pressure mats are indeed an alternative to magnetic door sensors and
they'd connect to 1-wire in the same way (via a D2PC).

However they (like door contacts) are no good for determining room
occupancy - if 2 people are in the room and one of them leaves neither
sensor can indicate this.

So I'm back to PIRs again and the hassle of interfacing them with
1-wire....