Re: Arcam - Going for a song?

  • Subject: Re: Arcam - Going for a song?
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 16:47:34 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Neil Ball" <neilball@...>
wrote:

> The AVR350 does sound much better than most AVRs when playing
music.=20

Yes, that was my priority.  I wanted a single amp that was good enough
for music and AV (DVDs).=20=20

It does
> have a few shortcomings when compared to the current specifications on
> current AVRs though =96 it has a built-in 2 input HDMI switch but will
no=
> upconvert analogue video to HDMI so you need to wire both analogue and
> digital video connections to your screen if you have a mix of
sources. It
> does not have on-board decoding for HD audio either although it does
have
> analogue multi-channel inputs =96 again not a problem if you have a BR
player
> with decoding and multi-channel analogue output. Not tested a unit
to see if
> it can accept LPCM over HDMI. Bit of a pain if you have more than one
HD
> audio source I suppose.
>=20

None of which did I need, so I'm quite happy not paying for them :-)

>=20=20
>=20
> The AVR600 is the first of their new models to launch although with
an SRP
> over =A32k it is not really the replacement for the AVR350. It may
even b=
> that Arcam are simply deciding to let the Japanese brands take the
lower
> priced market as there is little way to compete on price and keep the
> quality that Arcam is renowned for. The 600 does all of the usual
onboard HD
> decoding, video conversion etc that is expected of current AVRs.
>=20

Does look pretty good but is at the higher end as you say.=20=20

>=20=20
>=20
> So if you want great sound and can live without the onboard HD audio
and
> video conversion then the 350 is a bargain! Likewise the 280 for
another few
> hundred less.
>=20

Yeup :-))

I'll see if I can do a few pics and post soon.  Funny thing is that
the setup has been getting simpler.  In the living room I now just
have the TV screen and Squeezebox on display.  Sky HD, DVD payer
(largely unused), AV amp and Mac Mini (For streamed DVDs etc) are now
hidden in a cabinet.